Our network

Video shows police officer hitting pedestrian | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Video shows police officer hitting pedestrian

ATLANTA -- A video released Thursday shows the last few moments of Bernard Moore's life. Moore, 62, was crossing Metropolitan Parkway last Friday night when he was struck and killed by an Atlanta Police patrol car.


The video shows how fast the patrol car was going in comparison to other drivers the night Moore was killed, but it does not indicate what speed the patrol car was driving.

Moore crossed the busy Atlanta thoroughfare hundreds of times from a Shell gas station to the business he worked at, an audio store across the street.

The surveillance video from the Shell station shows Bernard Moore walking out of the store Friday night. When he gets up to Metropolitan Parkway he stops and watches a few cars go by. Then he steps out into the street and his hit by the patrol car driven by Officer Christopher Blaise.

The patrol car was clearly going
faster than other traffic but there is no way to tell at what speed. The speed limit on Metropolitan Parkway is 35MPH.

The video was released by family attorney Mawuli Davis who claims the officer was speeding. "One witness described him zooming down the street," Davis said. "Another witness talks about him going 70-80 miles an hour down Metropolitan, which would be in our estimation reckless driving."

Davis released the video at WAOL radio studios Thursday on the Derrick Boazman Show. Moore's daughter, Keshanna Spencer, and his son, Bernardo Hicks, were in the studio when the video was played.

While holding her three-month-old son in her arms, Spencer broke down in tears. "He was just an all-around great person," she said. "He always had a great spirit, nothing negative to say ever. He always said he loved me. I was his sugar pie. That's what I was to him."

Hicks said his father was loved in the neighborhood. "Any time you wanted to find my dad you would go to a business on Metropolitan (Parkway) because he was always helping out the local businesses" he said.

The Shell station manager told 11 Alive News that Atlanta Police picked up a copy of the surveillance video Thursday night after requesting it two days prior. Police said they would not comment on it until the investigation is complete.

You can follow Kevin on Twitter @krowson11alive and like him on Facebook